Destress & Reset Your Skin At-Home
It's week four of quarantine from COVID-19, and it’s becoming more and more clear that this is going to be our new normal for a while. Hopefully, you are finding the silver lining of this slower pace - creating healthier habits and finding new ways to connect digitally with loved ones.
Here is a list of five ways we are using this time to help reset and overhaul our skin.
by Kate Grant
6 months ago
We are halfway through the fourth week of the “shelter in place” order that was put into action because of the COVID-19 virus. These are scary and uncertain times, and it’s becoming more and more clear that this is going to be our new normal for a while. We are extremely grateful to our Free Agent community; you guys are helping to keep us sane during all this craziness!
Hopefully, by this point you have started to find the silver lining of this slower pace - creating healthier habits and finding new ways to connect digitally with loved ones.
Here is a list of five ways we are using this time to help reset and overhaul our skin, so we can emerge from this hibernation looking like we just spend a month at the spa.
1. Break up with your makeup
You’re at-home practicing social distancing, so no one is going to get up close and personal right now. Use this time to detox from foundations and daily face makeup. It’s truly the perfect opportunity to give your skin a break.
2. Do double duty with an AM / PM skincare routine
Since you’re taking a break from face makeup, this gives you a clean canvas to up your skincare game during the day. Go ahead and use those face oils and treatment serums during the day. Just don’t forget the SPF for when you venture outside.
***Just be careful not to go overboard with products like AHA’s, BHA’s, retinol or exfoliation treatments, those can aggravate the skin if used too much.
3. Destress your skin (and mind)
Take extra time to destress each night. Whether you do a five-minute facial that incorporates your favorite serum (obviously, LIGHTSPEED) with a mini facial massage, or unwind with an essential oil bath, it will help your mind, body and skin if you take this extra time to focus on self care.
Here is a tip for the perfect five-minute facial using a jade roller (or your fingers) and our Lightspeed Hydra Glow C Serum.
- Start by applying LIGHTSPEED to face and neck in light sweeping motion. Once it is evenly applied, use your jade roller beneath the clavicle in a downward motion starting from the middle going outwards, then repeat above the clavicle again starting in the middle and going outwards.
- Moving on to the neck and jaw line, perform a sweeping roll under the chin down towards the clavicle working towards the side of the neck. Do both sides of neck. Focusing more on the jaw, start at the center of the chin and roll out and up towards the cheeks. Do both sides.
- Repeat this upward / outward sweeping motion across the lips and cheeks.
- Moving on to the forehead, begin rolling in an up and down motion at the center of the forehead, and moving outward to the temples.
- To finish off the treatment, we like to add another drop or two to our fingertips and lightly tap the entire face and under eye area. (We like to think of this like a gentle rain tap because it reminds us of rain tapping on roof).
4. It’s time to drink more... And we mean water, not wine
We know that getting the right amount of water each day can be tedious, but now that we’re at home, all those bathroom breaks just got easier. This is the perfect time to start a new habit of drinking enough water each day. (Swap in herbal tea or sparkling water with fruit if you get bored.)
How much water should you be drinking? Here is an easy way to calculate based on your weight:
- Take your weight (in pounds) and divide that by 2.2.
- Multiply that number depending on your age: If you're younger than 30, multiply by 40. If you're between 30-55, multiply by 35. If you're older than 55, multiply by 30.
- Divide that sum by 28.3.
- Your total is how many ounces of water you should drink each day. Divide that number by 8 to see your result in cups. *Increase your number by 40 ounces for each hour of exercise you do.
5. Practice makes perfect.
Staying in is the best time to practice that elaborate hairstyle or cat eye that you haven’t quite mastered. If you mess up, you can just try again tomorrow.
All in all, we just hope you are staying safe and healthy! Sending lots of love from our entire team to you and your loved ones.